Through our closet ministry, we hope to meet our guests’ needs for new-to-them clothing, shoes, and toiletries. We respectfully request casual clothing only, as this is what the overwhelming majority of our guests request and need. The list below will give you a good indication of the types of things that are in greatest demand and how your contribution can make a difference for those we serve. We also love having volunteers help with the closet during our Saturday morning meals.
For more information or to donate to the clothing closet fund, contact the church office manager at 615-254-7584 or [email protected]. You can also text “dpchurch offering” to 73256 and select Clothes Closet from the drop-down.
If you are interested in volunteering for our closet, or if you would like to be a part of the team helping to coordinate our efforts, please add your name to the sign up sheet in the narthex or via email to [email protected]. You can also sign up for specific dates on SignUpGenius.com. For more information, call us at 615-254-7584 or email [email protected].
Items most needed:
- men’s & women’s jeans, cargo shorts, athletic shorts, sweat pants/yoga pants
- men’s & women’s casual long and short sleeved shirts
- NEW men’s & women’s athletic socks, preferably white
- NEW men’s & women’s undergarments of all sizes
- men’s & women’s sweatshirts, hoodies, jackets, and coats
- men’s & women’s athletic shoes in good condition
- hats (ball cap for summer, knitted/fitted for winter), gloves, scarves
- sample sizes of shampoo, conditioner, soap/body wash, toothpaste, toothbrush, body lotion, shaving cream, hand sanitizer
- women’s feminine hygiene products
- Gold Bond foot powder or equivalent
- bags for carrying items (plastic shopping, reusable totebags, backpacks, & small duffel bags)
Due to space limitations, we can only keep a few of these in each size:
- men’s & women’s button-up dress shirts
- men’s & women’s khaki pants
- men’s & women’s polo/collared shirts
- women’s dresses
- women’s skirts
We will take, but will probably exchange or trade for other items needed:
- men’s dress pants, formal khaki pants,
- men’s dress shoes
- women’s formal wear
- women’s dress shoes, heels, etc.
We do NOT accept:
- used socks
- used undergarments of any kind
- jewelry or similar accessories
- pajamas, sleepwear, nightgowns, lingerie
- mouthwash or razors
- medications of any kind
- children’s items of any kind
- women’s blouses that are sheer or require an additional shirt to be complete (we can’t guarantee our guests have these things, and it’s quite challenging to keep sets together in our bins)
Note that for now, we can accept gift cards to Wal-Mart, which will be used to purchase the items that must be supplied new rather than used. We do not currently accept cash for our clothing closet ministry.